Working as a study support mentor
Dyslexia, ADHD,?Asperger’s syndrome, visual impairment and hearing impairment are examples of disabilities which can make studying more difficult for many students. People with a disability can get learning support from the University, for example through peer support from a mentor.
Working as a mentor for a student offers you opportunities for your own learning and development, as you get a chance to revise and share your knowledge. It is also a good qualification to add to your CV and at the end of your assignment, you will get a certificate stating that you supported a fellow student alongside your own studies.
Your task as a mentor is mainly about supporting the student in planning and structuring his or her studies.?You make suggestions based on your own experience and function as a sounding-board. Your role is about motivating and supporting the student, on the basis of the student’s own circumstances and level. The student him- or herself is responsible for doing the studying. You are there as support.
The working hours are approximately 1–2 hours per week. You will be paid by the hour. Few people take on this role for the money, however; most see it as an opportunity to share their knowledge and experience.
- At least one year of university studies
- Good ability to plan and organise
- Calm, secure and patient person
- NB: to receive payment for your work as a mentor, you need a Swedish personal identity number
It is an additional qualification to
- have some knowledge of disabilities which can pose challenges in a study situation, such as reading and writing difficulties or?neuropsychiatric?and mental?disabilities.
- have experience of motivating and coaching others.
In the selection of mentors, the emphasis is on personal suitability for the role.
Expression of interest
Does this sound interesting? Fill in an expression of interest in working as a mentor!
Material for students working as mentors
Disability Support Services/?Student Support and Advising Services
221 00 Lund
Contact the coordinator for the faculty where you are studying:
carina [dot] argelius [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 (0)42 35 6704
- Campus Helsingborg
christel [dot] berg [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 (0)46 222 3490
- Faculty of Fine and Performing Arts
- Faculties of Humanities and Theology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
kristian [dot] frennessen [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 (0)46 222 8681
- School of Economics and Management
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Law
- and Bachelor’s degree programme in Political Science.
christina [dot] rowa [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 (0)46 222 7050
- Faculty of Engineering (LTH)
- Faculty of Science
- and School of Social Work.